Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Extended absences are never good

The past couple of months have been a crazy jumble of just...stuff. I've had issues with my family, lost a couple of friends, downsized out of a job and spent the better part of the past 3 weeks trying to figure out just what it is I want to do with my life.

What I've figured out is that I am happiest when writing and learning new technologies. I love travelling, and even if I'm not fortunate enough to find a job that allows me to do that frequently, I know that my dream position will allow me the flexibility to take a vacation or two a year. And instead of papering the Internet with my resume, I've really hunkered down and focused on positions that are not just jobs, but places where I could flourish and grow. The contract positions I've enjoyed over the past 4 years haven't been the most glamorous or even the ones I knew a ton about going in. They were the ones where I learned something new everyday and was constantly presented with ways to challenge myself to hone and sharpen my craft. I just need to find a permanent job like that.

It's a little difficult to be picky right now, what with the terrible economy and all. But I haven't lost hope yet, and I know the right job is out there for me, somewhere. In the meantime, I have grad school to look forward to this summer (YAY!) and a temporary job with my old boss that I'm pretty excited for.

The playlist that is getting me through includes these two life-affirming songs:



No comments: